CARSON CITY, Nevada (KOLO) – Your next Nevada driver’s license or ID card will have a new look.
The DMV unveiled its new design on Friday with updated security features. It’s the first new look since 2008, with the DMV making changes in 2014.
It was designed by a committee of DMV experts working closely with the Nevada Highway Patrol, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and other law enforcement agencies, the DMV said.
The Nevada “Battle Born” badge appears on the front of the license with the year of the State of Nevada, 1864.
The design team incorporated two Nevada skylines. The front of the map features the Las Vegas skyline while the back of the map displays Carson City, the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and Playa in the Black Rock Desert.
The Federal Real Identity marker has also been changed from a golden circle to the Nevada outline.
âOur new licenses and IDs are sleek and modern, but still pay homage to Nevada’s heritage. They also have enhanced security features that help protect Nevadans from identity theft and assist our law enforcement agencies, âsaid DMV Director Julie Butler.
The new design rolls out at the Reno DMV on Wednesday, July 14, 2021.
The new design will be phased in at each of the state’s 18 DMV offices as camera equipment at each location is upgraded.
DMV online services will be converted to the new cards no later than August 1. All DMV offices will issue the new card by September 1. All cards will continue to be sent to customers.
The enhanced security features of the new card include:
- A repeated laser etched ghost image from the photograph
- A laser ablation or engraving of the cardholder’s initials and year of birth on top of the driver’s photo
- Holder’s date of birth is rephrased in large print with a raised feel
- The background features a guilloche safety pattern with waves and patterns printed in very fine lines that cannot be digitized or easily reproduced
- High resolution “split fountain” print in which the background colors change from blue to green and back to blue on the face of the card
Existing licenses and identity cards will remain valid until they expire. Customers will receive the new design upon renewal or other license transaction such as name or address change.
âIt is important to note that documents with the old design will remain valid and in circulation until 2029,â said Butler. âThose who have a card with the previous design will still be able to use it for all its intended purposes until it reaches its expiration date. “
Copyright 2021 KOLO. All rights reserved.