US SEC sends letter to Musk over tweets about $44 billion Twitter deal




The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission sent a letter to Elon Musk last month seeking clarification on some of the tweets the billionaire sent about his $44 billion Twitter deal, the regulatory filing revealed Thursday. .

Twitter was back online on Thursday after an hour-long outage left thousands of users around the world unable to access the social media website.

The outage affected nearly 2,000 users as of 9 a.m. ET, down from a peak of 50,000 incidents an hour earlier, according to outage tracking website Downdetector.com. The social network was completely unavailable to users around the world on web and mobile for 45 minutes.

The incident comes days after Twitter sued Tesla CEO Musk for breaching his agreement to buy the company and asked a Delaware court to order the world’s richest person to finalize the takeover.

“Some of you are having trouble accessing Twitter and we are working to get it back up and running for everyone. Thanks for sticking with us,” the social media company said in a tweet.

Twitter’s status dashboard showed it was investigating the issue with some of its application programming interfaces. Twitter is hosted on Amazon Web Services and started using Google Cloud Platform as a secondary provider from 2018, according to Well Fargo Securities analyst Brian Fitzgerald. “That doesn’t seem to be an issue with its cloud providers as other services continue to operate,” Fitzgerald told Reuters.

Twitter suffered another widespread outage in February, attributed to a software glitch.

Other major tech companies have also been hit by outages over the past year, with a nearly six-hour outage keeping Meta Platforms’ WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger out of reach of billions of users in October.

Famous for its failures in its early years, Twitter used its popular “Fail Whale” illustration, a beluga whale being lifted by birds, for such incidents until 2013, when it dropped the logo.

Twitter shares fell slightly to $36.51 on Thursday.


Departure of Tesla’s Autopilot chief

Tesla’s top artificial intelligence executive and a key figure in its Autopilot driver assistance system is leaving the electric carmaker after a months-long sabbatical.

Andrej Karpathy, who joined Tesla in 2017, announced his departure in a series of tweets on Wednesday. He was senior director of AI and led the Autopilot computer vision team that had been trying for years to make the company’s cars capable of driving autonomously.

“It was a great pleasure to help Tesla achieve its goals over the past five years and a difficult decision to part ways,” Karpathy wrote. “During this time, Autopilot has evolved from lane keeping on city streets and I can’t wait to see the exceptionally strong Autopilot team continue that momentum.”

The departure adds to a long line of revenue at the top of the Autopilot Group, which has struggled to realize Elon Musk’s self-driving ambitions. The CEO raised billions of dollars in 2019 after telling Wall Street that Tesla would have 1 million robotaxis on the road the following year. The shared network of driverless cars described by Musk still doesn’t exist, and the systems Tesla markets as Autopilot and Full Self-Driving, or FSD, require fully attentive drivers to keep their hands on the wheel.

The departure of Karpathy, 35, may reflect the challenges Tesla is having with FSD and robotaxis, according to Dan Levy, a Credit Suisse analyst with the equivalent of a buy rating on the stock.

Dear reader,

Business Standard has always endeavored to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that matter to you and that have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your constant encouragement and feedback on how to improve our offering has only strengthened our resolve and commitment to these ideals. Even in these challenging times stemming from Covid-19, we remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative opinions and incisive commentary on relevant topical issues.
However, we have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more so that we can continue to bring you more great content. Our subscription model has received an encouraging response from many of you who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of bringing you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practice the journalism we are committed to.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

digital editor

Previous Downtown Design 2022 to bolster Dubai's burgeoning design scene
Next Payday loans are not an option to make ends meet, experts say